Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Afghanistan Update

Well I've been deployed for two weeks now. Things are going smooth so far. We are getting things set up the Soldiers are coming in and we are signing for the equipment that we need.

I don't have any pictures from Kandahar yet but I'll try to get some taken and get them posted eventually. There is a ton of construction going on here in order to house all of the extra Soldiers that are coming. That said there still isn't enough. I'm currently crammed into a bay with 120 of my closets friends in a building that houses almost 800 people. You really start to get to know someone. Our building is also right next to the sewage treatment ponds for the base so when the winds just right you get a good whiff. I don't think you can ever get used to that.

It is hot here, averaging about 100 degrees since I've been here and it's very dusty. I thought I'd left the moon dust stuff in Iraq but it's in Afghanistan too. I'm hoping eventually we move into a base further into the mountains and there won't be as much of the dust and it will cool off a little bit.

I've started a marathon workout plan just so I can keep myself in shape. When we get more settled some place I'm going to start some strength training to go with it. Not much time to post that kind of stuff on the beer drinker with a triathlon problem blog now but I hope to be able to do that when I get into a rhythm.

I think I've hashed out when I'm going to get R&R but still need final approval from my boss. If approved it means that it will be a little closer to the six month mark than last time. Taking it early last time was not the best time to do it.

It's a small world I've run into guys I've worked with at Fort Riley the first time I was there as well as a guy I worked with at Fort Carson. Another friend from Carson should be here later this summer and those of you who know Brian, he should be here in a couple of weeks. Like I said it's either a small world or that's what happens when you put more troops into a country.

That's all for now.

Well that's it for now

0 comments: