Tuesday, June 24, 2008

BBQ

Here is the field expedient BBQ grill that we constructed. American Soldiers can come up with anything if they put their mind to it. Our G3 advisor got some whole chickens, and a beef brisket for Memorial Day and he preceded to do a feast for the team and the Iraqi staff. Unfortunately for him he underestimated how long it would take to cook the 20 some pounds of brisket and dinner was finally served around 11pm on Memorial Day. We have since put it use a couple of other times with some food that we acquired once again from our friends the British supply sergeants (it’s amazing what a few flashlights, automatic open knives, sunglasses, and some other things will acquire you)


This is our team NCOIC cutting strip steaks from a whole strip loin of meat. This is also what steaks for 21-25 Soldiers and Marines look like on the grill. We had an excellent BBQ this night with strip steaks, burgers and baked potatoes. The Iraqis find it amusing when we tell them that in the States it is mainly the man who does this kind of cooking. In Iraq the women does ALL of the cooking unless it is done in a restaurant and then men do the cooking.
When it comes to BBQing in Iraq I’m forced to yield the majority of the grilling duties to the Team NCOIC who is pretty protective of his grilling domain. Although I have suitably impressed him with my ability to cook flesh over an open flame for him to allow me to start the fire and occasionally do the chicken.

I’m hoping that as Macen learns to eat on his own, that he doesn’t take after his father when it comes to the eating department. Yes, that’s a chunk of chicken on my knife and I am eating it straight from the knife, and that is a cigar in my hand as well (the Army won’t let me drink beer in Iraq, even if that is a staple of BBQing, and I’ve got to have one vice over here right?). The team medic had to be called in shortly after this picture was taken to administer stitches as I bit down on the knife instead of the chicken. Just joking!

0 comments: